As the Canadian Division of Stewart, one of the largest title insurers in the world, we provide residential and commercial title insurance, while offering comprehensive service, deep expertise and solutions to help our customers close their real estate transactions with peace of mind.
We are currently recruiting for an Underwriting Lawyer,who is interested in working from home supporting our Western Canada division and is able to work from 8:30 to 5:00 Pacific Standard time (11:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST) – Monday to Friday.
- Analyzing risk associated with insuring real estate transactions based on parameters defined by the Company.
- Responding to customer and internal inquiries related to underwriting issues arising on residential and commercial transactions and advising as to the real estate process and title insurance coverage in Western Canada.
- Drafting title insurance underwriting clauses and endorsements.
- Reviewing transactions flagged for potential real estate fraud.
- Handling complex underwriting issues, such as for native land transactions.
- Advising on legal developments and their interaction with title insurance coverage.
- Customer and internal inquiries, questions and problem solving.
- Research on real estate matters when required.
- If requested, assisting with facilitating monthly underwriting meetings and maintain agenda.
- Assist with new product development and improvement.
- Where required, provide assistance with training of new employees on title coverage and underwriting.
- If required, assist with presentations to outside clients about title insurance coverage and underwriting.
- Ongoing projects, including but not limited, to assisting in the creation and maintenance of Western Canada underwriting precedents.
- Other duties as required or assigned
- Minimum of 5 -7 years’ experience practicing Real estate law in either private practice, in house or with a regulatory body
- Knowledge of both Residential and Commercial real estate law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to numerous concurrent deadlines
- Ability to adapt readily to a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong computer proficiency with Windows and MS Office
- Title insurance knowledge would be an asset
To pursue this opportunity please forward your cover letter and resume to the HR Department via email or alternatively via fax (416) 981-7214. Please make sure you include the position you are applying for and salary expectations in the cover letter.
Stewart Title is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please let us know. We can be reached by:
- Telephone: (416) 307-3300 (please ask to speak to a Human Resources representative)
- Mail: 200 Bay Street, North Tower, Suite 2600, Toronto, ON M5J 2J2
Your privacy is important to us. We consider and define Personal Information as any data relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional or public life. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details or posts on social media. We only collect, store, use and disclose Personal Information from prospective and current employees for legitimate employment, legal, and business purposes. You can learn more about how we handle and process your personal information in relation to our recruitment process by making a request to our Human Resources department.
Thank you to all applicants for your interest. Please note, only those that are under consideration will be contacted by way of the Clear Legal Job Board.