The Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton was established in 1894 as a not-for-profit charitable organization, mandated under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act of Ontario, focusing on the well-being and protection of children. The Society is committed to the strengthening of families, while valuing diversity and promoting equity.
We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. The Society encourages applicants from all qualified individuals.
We are currently seeking a skilled and committed individual to join our team as a:
CHIEF LEGAL COUNSEL
Regular Full Time (34 hours per week)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chief Legal Counsel is responsible for the direct supervision of Society lawyers and oversees the day-to-day activities of the Legal Department. The Chief Legal Counsel provides legal consultation and acts as Legal Counsel in CYFSA and service-related matters as required.
- Provide input into the Society’s strategic plan, as a member of the Senior Management Team;
- Implements legal service programs aligned with the Society’s strategic plan, vision and goals;
- Ensures Legal Counsel team is seeking to understand the families’ experience and takes child’s perspective into consideration;
- Utilizes service data to support and drive outcomes related to the strategic direction of the Society;
- Instillsdeeper understanding of the integration of the Signs of Safety and the ADR philosophies and frameworks;
- Advises, monitors and mentors Legal Counsel in all aspects of planning, organizing and delivering legal services;
- Creates interpersonal collaboration and partnering within the Legal Counsel Team and across the Society, within the Grand River Zone and at the provincial table;
- Creates opportunities for Legal Counsel team to participate in interprofessional debriefs, training and networking opportunities;
- Designs and implements case assignment models to support an integrated legal service as well as supporting equitable case assignment;
- Provides updates on relevant case law, legislative changes, recent decisions, etc. and provides summaries to the Legal and Senior Management Teams.
- Bachelor of Law Degree and membership in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada;
- Minimum 5 years of experience representing children, parents or a Children’s Aid Society in CYFSA or Family Law proceedings preferred, with a minimum 2 years in a similar management role;
- Advanced knowledge in case preparation, presentation and litigation techniques and alternative dispute resolution strategies;
- Advanced knowledge of legislation governing child welfare including CYFSA and related statues and OACAS standards;
- Good knowledge of relevant CAS/industry computer applications i.e. CPIN and Caseworks.
All employees of the Society are expected to demonstrate respect, empathy, and accountability to the children and families we serve and each other.
Interested applicants should submit a current resume by email or by or Fax: (905) 522-1089, clearly indicating the Job Posting Number (File #033/19) by Friday October 11, 2019,
Applicants that may require accommodation due to disability during the selection process must notify Human Resources when contacted for an interview.