The Legal Assistant provides legal and administrative assistance to counsel and participates in the delivery of a full range of legal and administrative support services.
- Identify and analyze legal and administrative information on various issues.
- Organize, prepare and process documents for filing in legal proceedings before the Federal Court and other Courts or tribunals.
- Prepare, proofread and/or edit correspondence and reports etc. for counsel according to rules of procedures, legal correspondence standards, Department of Justice, CSIS and Unit policies and procedures.
- Monitor, review and sort, both electronic and paper correspondence to determine nature of the issues, prioritize and action as required.
- Correspond and liaise with the Court/Tribunal, Department of Justice, CSIS and other government officials, etc. regarding a variety of issues (either legal or administrative in nature).
- Coordinate meetings and presentations for counsel and manage their agendas, which can include taking minutes of meetings, retrieving and analysing relevant information for counsel, developing agendas, and providing appropriate follow-up services.
- Perform basic legal research, locate and retrieve case law and legislation, by using a variety of databases.
- Maintain legal files by monitoring developments, (including use of bring forward BF system) organizing, reviewing, maintaining general knowledge of issues in accordance with legal practice standards and Department of Justice procedures.
- Participate in the delivery of support services as part of the legal and administrative support team.
Community College Certificate (1 year) in Law, Law Clerk, Paralegal and/or Legal Assistant and four (4) years of related experience*.
The educational program must be from an accredited learning institution recognized in Canada.
If you completed a program outside of Canada you will be required to obtain proof of a Canadian equivalency at your expense through a recognized credential assessment service.
- Experience as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal in a legal firm/office/department and/or experience working as an Administrative Assistant where legal matters constituted a substantial part of the day to day work.
Candidates must also possess:
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including extensive experience with Word
- Experience having searched and retrieved information from Canlii, Quicklaw or Westlaw
- Experience in providing services related to litigation matters or in providing legal research services used by counsel in developing and providing legal advice
- Organizational Skills/Multitasking
Conditions of Employment
Flexibility is required in relation to the work scheduled that may extend beyond core hours of work based on operational requirements.
Candidates must be eligible to receive an Enhanced Top Secret security clearance. The process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications. The use of illegal drugs is a criminal offense. Drug use is an important factor considered in your reliability and suitability assessment during the selection process. Therefore it is important not to use any illegal drugs from the time you submit your application.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each Education and Experience criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the career opportunity.
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
CSIS is committed to diversity and inclusion and the equitable participation of all Canadians. Should you require accommodation in relation to a disability, please tell us at the beginning of the selection process. This information will be kept confidential.
The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.