Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Canadian Division Litigation department is looking for a motivated, independent individual to join their team as a Senior Legal Assistant in the Toronto office. Reporting to the Litigation Manager, you will be responsible for providing administrative support to multiple practices in a team-based model, specializing in life and health insurance defence litigation.
- Draft and edit legal documents including civil court documentation
- Draft routine correspondence and transcribe more complex legal documentation
- Compile affidavit of records, records and briefs, coordinate and schedule events for the lawyers and clients within requisite timelines during the litigation process
- Schedule meetings, make travel arrangements
- Communicate with internal and external contacts
- Maintain database of file information for tracking reporting purposes
- General office administration duties including faxing, scanning, photocopying, filing, cerlox binding, downloading/uploading files, DVD/CD burning, mail distribution, courier services, and other administrative tasks
- Assist with office administration, including general office administration, administrative support, backup support, and office supplies
- Assist with maintaining and managing invoice payments, expense payment and reporting
- 4+ years of experience in civil litigation and general office administration
- Completion of legal assistant diploma
- Solid understanding of civil litigation process
- Proven experience in a similar administrative role
- Excellent team player and ability to work independently on assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written and strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Demonstrate ability to apply a common sense of understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions
- Strong client-focus and commitment to quality service and product outcomes
- Excellent computer skills – Office 365, advanced knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat DC, OneDrive, SharePoint, Aspera and other applications
- General office skills and computer knowledge, filing with the ability to work as a team and in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent ability to use office equipment: printer, photocopier, scanner, cerlox binding, DVD/CD burner and other equipment
- Excellent organizational and priority-setting skills
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Demonstrate flexibility in adjusting to changes with a positive attitude
- Demonstrate ability to take the initiative to learn and adapt in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, results oriented, multiple team environment where confidentiality is essential
- Demonstrate tact and professionalism and maintains complete confidentiality with the ability to exercise discretion with highly sensitive information
- Position requires a sense of urgency and strong commitment to service level outcome
- Demonstrate ability to work with independence on assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Excellent ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure to meet deadlines while remaining focused with attention to detail and accuracy
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of December 31, 2018, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$794 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.0 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.