Competition # 5822.19
The City of Fredericton is seeking a lawyer, specializing in real estate, to join its legal division.
Reporting to the City Solicitor, this position will mainly work with other business units on real estate projects and related strategic initiatives that shape our City. The solicitor will also be responsible for providing a broad range of legal services to City Council, its committees and the departments of the City with a primary focus on real estate related matters.
- Act as legal counsel in a variety of real estate transactions including acquisitions, disposals, leases, expropriations and easements;
- Draft unique and complex agreements, leases, easements, restrictive covenants and other real estate documents ensuring due diligence;
- Provide legal advice, opinions and recommendations with respect to the structure of real estate and other matters;
- Prepare a wide range of contracts to which the City is a party working collaboratively with internal client departments;
- Contribute to the development of policies, practices, procedures and standard documents that facilitate the City's acquisition, disposition, leasing and management of real property;
- Contribute to and prepare administrative reports as required;
- Prepare internal memorandums as required;
- Review and analyze legislation;
- Respond to City Council's requests;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize;
- Use skills individually and as part of a team to achieve organizational goals and client satisfaction; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) with a minimum of five (5) years, preferred ten to twenty (10-20) years, related experience and be an active member in good standing in or eligibility for membership with the New Brunswick Law Society and the Canadian Bar Association.
- Substantial experience in real estate law and land development including negotiating, drafting, finalizing complex real estate transactions.
- This is a full-time, permanent position. Consideration may be given to fulfilling the role in a different capacity.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- Teamwork - ability to effectively contribute to the establishment, maintenance and success of work teams, focused on achieving individual, team and departmental goals;
- Communicate effectively in both verbally and written forms;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City Council, staff, other departments and outside parties;
- Negotiation skills - ability to use negotiation techniques and influencing skills in a manner that gains agreement or acceptance;
- Problem solving abilities - ability to identify issues or problems and develop strategies, ideas and opportunities for resolving them;
- Analytical skills - ability to understand a situation by breaking it unto smaller pieces and/or tracing the implications in a step-by-step manner;
- Ability to communicate in both official languages considered an asset;
- Ability to deal effectively with management, staff, elected officials and representatives of external parties; and
- Develop and implement proactive strategies and protect the interests of the City by anticipating legal challenges and reducing exposure to legal risks.
Interested individuals must demonstrate their qualifications in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm on June 7, 2019.
The City of Fredericton is an equal opportunity employer.
Only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.