The ideal candidate will have experience in contracts administration and management of trademark, copyright and patent clearance, registration, and renewal matters. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, strong client services orientation, and excellent follow up and communication skills. The best candidate likely has training received at a larger law firm or other global business, and is smart, highly organized, efficient, thinks creatively, has a positive work attitude, and is comfortable following directions as well as working independently.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the request for trademark, copyright and patent filings with outside legal counsel including initial and comprehensive world-wide searches;
- Partner with internal teams across the Brands to review products, names, designs and marketing materials to ensure compliance with trademark and copyright laws;
- Review intellectual property filings, assess risk and provide recommendations to senior stakeholders for which names to register trademark and URLs;
- Liaise with intellectual property law firms in North America and Asia and provide the necessary internal information required for establishing and implementing global trademark filings and enforcement strategies.
- Monitor and protect the company’s valuable intellectual property by drafting cease and desist letters, investigating infringement, and partnering with internal teams on social media and domain name issues;
- In partnership with outside legal counsel, provide litigation support including documentation associated with court filings, litigation holds, evidence collection and management;
- Review and manage all legal correspondence including contracts, leases, terms and conditions, licenses, and non-disclosure agreements and the like;
- Preparation and filing of routine corporate documents, maintain corporate records;
- Create and maintain ORBTM’s in-house systems for tracking status, deadlines and actions due in contract and intellectual property matters, including certificates of registration, naming conventions, trademark renewals.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Highly capable of managing a variety of legal activities within a privately own business, while providing effective counsel to the Executive management team;
- Basic knowledge of Intellectual Property clearance, filing, and prosecution practices and rules;
- Ability to work with multiple departments with conflicting and demanding deadlines;
- Flexible and able to adapt to last minute direction and changes with demonstrated ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment;
- Balance risks associated with internal actions and business decisions to provide recommendations for appropriate actions;
- Demonstrate the ability to distill and clearly explain legal principles and opinions to business partners at all levels;
- Strong organizational, time management and verbal and written communication skills including presentation and negotiation skills;
- Team player who builds relationships through collaboration, approachability, trust and credibility.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Law;
- 5+ years’ experience in a law firm with a focus on trademark and copyright law is preferred;
- Experience in advertising law, preferred.
Additional Experience Helpful:
- Knowledge of Charter of the French Language in relation to packaging and labels;
- Knowledge of WebTMS or similar trademark docketing software;
- Experience in enforcement work, cease and desist letters, social media takedowns, trademark investigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings;
- Promotions and advertising experience, including sweepstakes and contests;
- Preparation and management of S. and Canadian copyright filings;
- Knowledge of Customs recordals and other border measures to protect intellectual property rights.
Please submit your resume & a cover letter (that highlights how your past experience aligns with our environment)
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.